Transmission bills itself as a Fast, Easy, and Free BitTorrent Client- and that’s exactly what it is. It’s one of the first apps I install on a new Mac, I hear about it pretty often in forums and podcasts, and it’s got a pretty solid community behind it with a great team of developers. With that said, after a recent visit to the project’s website I thought that it could use a refresh—I thought “I can’t contribute much to the project’s repo, but this I could do”. So without further adieu, put briefly, here’s what went into my little day project:
Note: I’m sure that the folks at Stranded Design and Boolable are great, and I know that the site does what it needs to, but it seems neglected and I wanted to see what I could bring to it with a fresh coat of paint and a few odd and end improvements. Anything owned by Transmission is the sole property of Transmission I don’t claim to own any of it. This is for demonstration purposes.
- A fresh WordPress install with my own boilerplate setup to expedite editing the existing content and making it all more generally responsive
- Some IA cleanup; simplified menu and some of the pages for simpler UX
- Held onto the colors; that made the existing site really stand out to me
- Improved accessibility by adding title attributes to many of the links, set external links to open in a new tab, removed broken links that I saw, etc.
- I renamed the Add-Ons / Resources page to Companions
- Added larger text, larger images, and more white space to improve readability
- Added a dedicated contact page where visitors can mark the message as General or Security based. This way there’s 1 spot they see to contact and not several, semi-hidden email addresses
- Added some “quick links” to the footer globally
- Rewrote the Download page, now Downloads, with new icons and improved styling. I think I’m most pleased with the changes there.
- Added Simple SSL, Invisible reCaptcha, and WP Super Cache to handle always having SSL, to fight spam, and to improve load time
- Other odds and ends went into this, and I was going to list them all with a bunch of before and after photos, but I think it’d be easier to show you. If you have a minute, check these links out on both Desktop and Mobile to see the most dramatic differences:
Here’s the existing site: https://transmissionbt.com/
Here are a few scrolling screenshots of what I put together:
What do you think? What else could be improved? With more time there’s more I’d like to improve, myself.
Transmission, if you read this, I love the app. Let me know if you’d like an import file or if I can maybe help with anything.